Donkey Kong Online Open #1 for 2014Welcome to our first Donkey Kong tournament for 2014 !!!!We have a new pot added to the tournament for anyone who can beat the current DK WR score....see the rules below for details!***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***
As you all know, the Kong Off 4 will be coming up later on this year. The new structure of the KO 4 will most likely be based on a bracketed layout. The seeding for the bracketed layout will involve the Donkey Kong Online Open Tournaments. It is in the best interest of all players to participate in as many DK online tournaments as they can to obtain their best possible highest score. Players who do not participate in any of the online tournaments who also participate in the KO 4 will be seeded at the bottom of the field in the order determined by the event coordinators. More details to follow...
Start Time: February 21, 2014 9:00 PM Pacific Time
End Time: February 23, 2014 9:00 PM Pacific time (48 hours)
Entry Fee: FREE! (and open to all players!)Prizes
- $200 for the 1st place submitted validated score
- $150 for the 2nd place submitted validated score
- $100 for the 3rd place submitted validated score
- $50 for the 4rd place submitted validated score
- $25 for the 5rd place submitted validated scoreBounties
- $50 for the first player to reach 800,000 points on their first jump man
- $50 for the first 1 million+ point game submission for someone who has never reached 1 million points in any previous DK game ever played
- $50 for the first 1.1 million+ point game submission for someone who has never reached 1.1 million points in any previous DK game ever played (Thanks Daniel Desjardins!!!)
- $50 for the player who completes the most boards on their first
- $50 for the player who completes the most boards on their last
- $50 for the mystery bounty #1
- $50 for the mystery bounty #2NOTE: Prizes and bounties might change in the futureDK Arcade World Record Pot (see the rules below)
- Current DK WR: Hank Chien: 1,138,600
- Current Pot Value: $1300
- UPDATE: Daniel Desjardins added $50 to the pot!
- UPDATE: Yes that is right, the pot is now $1300! An anonymous player would like to donate $1000 to this pot for this tournament only!!! If nobody wins this pot, the $1000 will be removed for the next tourney (so it will start off at $400 next time).
- Thanks everyone for contributing to the pot!!!
The current rankings for the contest will be posted in a shared google document located at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsoDfaVYTK8JdGxodk1vVmtINUp2dEdMOWVDXzBoeXc&usp=sharing#gid=0.
This document contains all the scores for all the DK opens for 2014 plus an aggregate scoreboard. Special thanks to Hank Chien for putting this together for us. The rankings will be updated periodically throughout the duration of the contest.
IMPORTANT: The rules for the contest are laid out below. Please read through all of the rules carefully. Due to the anticipated large number of score submissions, John and Eric have the right to immediately reject any score submission if these rules are not followed as outlined below. ***NO EXCEPTIONS***Registration
- Any contestant may register for this contest, it is open to any person on this planet that plays Donkey Kong no matter what your skill level may be!!!
- All registrations must be received prior to the start time of the competition.
- In order to register, simply click on the following link and submit your information: http://donkeykongforum.com/tournaments/registration.phpStream Setup
- All contestants are required to stream their games on twitch.tv or Justin.tv. (NO EXCEPTIONS FOR ANY REASON).
- Contestants are solely responsible for setting up their stream. Eric Tessler and John Salter will not be involved in any contestantís stream setup for any reason.
- Contestants may enlist the help of anyone except Eric Tessler and John Salter to setup their stream.
- Contestantís stream quality must be sharp enough to read the level and score at a glance (as well as the rest of the game play). If there is ANY question of score and level due to bad quality stream, that submission will be rejected, instantly, with no exceptions. We suggest that you test your streams and check them from time to time to make sure they are working correctly.
- Streams which are partial, glitchy, edited or manipulated in any way will be rejected.
- Streams must be available for review on the contestants registered twitch.tv channel. If for ANY reason the stream is not available for review on the contestantís registered twitch.tv channel, the submission will be rejected. NO EXCEPTIONS.Game Submissions
- In order to submit a score, simply click on the following link: http://donkeykongforum.com/tournaments/scoresubmission.php
- Contestant is solely responsible for submitting their own scores.
- DK arcade or DK MAME (US set 1) can both be used for score submissions (must use TG settings of 3 lives and a bonus life at 7000 points).
- Score submissions can be for any non-zero score.
- At the start of EACH new stream, contestant must state their full name (you no longer have to state your name before every single game).
- The entire game must be played only by the registered contestant who is identified at the beginning of the game.
* Contestant is solely responsible for specifying which bounty they want to claim when they submit a score.
* A contestant can only be paid for a maximum of 1 bounty for any one contest.
* If a submitted game qualifies for more than 1 bounty, the contestant is solely responsible for specifying which bounty they are claiming and they can only claim a single bounty (and the refs will consider only the specified bounty for the score submission). For example, if I have a game where I am the first to a million points and a kill screen, I claim the million point bounty and the kill screen bounty remains open for other contestants to claim.
* If a contestant tries to claim a bounty however is not awarded that bounty for some reason (i.e., they were incorrect about the bounty or another contestant's score submission invalidates their bounty claim), the contestant may try to claim another bounty on one of their next score submissions.
* Bounties are considered in the order in which the score submissions are received.
* Please remember that the bounty system was introduced for fun and to spread around some extra money to the contestants. Any disputes over the bounties will be settled accordingly by Eric/John.
- If any player is at Eric's or Johnís house on the day of the contest, they may use our DK arcade machine for the tournament and we will act as a referee (as such, they do not need to submit their score via email, but the game will still be broadcasted on twitch.tv for everyone to see).
- Eric and John will be validating all scores and reserve the right to reject any score for any reason.
- Games started before the official contest start time (no matter how close to the official contest start time) will not be eligible.
- Games started after the official contest end time (no matter how close to the official contest end time) will not be eligible.
- Last game can be started any time before the official contest end time (no matter how close to the official contest end time).
- Scores can be submitted up until 4 hours past the official contest end time.DK Arcade World Record Pot Rules
- At the end of the tournament, the pot goes to the contestant who beats the current WR score (must be obtained on an arcade machine; MAME does not count).
- If there are multiple contestants who beat the WR score within the same tournament, the pot goes to the contestant with the highest score.
- The contestant who wins the pot cannot collect any other prize money for the same tournament (top player positions or bounties).
- If nobody wins the pot, the pot carries over into the next tournament and increases by $100.
- Any contestant, including the current WR holder, is eligible to win the pot.
- The pot will initially start at $250 and will increase by $100 for each tournament where the pot is not collected. These donations are by Eric Tessler.
- Any contestant who wishes to donate more money to the pot, please contact Eric Tessler.Prize Payouts
- Prize money will be issued in the exact amount stated, ONLY to the registered contestant.
- Prize money will be sent via PayPal or sent via U.S. post in the form of a registered money order, or check ONLY to the registered contestant.
- If the contestant rejects the prize acceptance guidelines, listed above, or chooses not to accept the prize, that money will be added to the next contest purse.
- Once a contestant wins prize money in a tournament (any type of prize money excluding bounties), they cannot win any more prize money for the following 2 tournaments (after the next 2 tournaments, that player will once again be allowed to win some prize money). This will allow different people to have a chance at winning some prize money.
- NOTE: As this is the first tournament for 2014, anyone can win prize money.Clarifications
- Kill screen: In order to qualify for a kill screen on 22-1, we must be able to see the jump man death that is caused by the kill screen itself (dying any other way will not count). Closing Remarks
- Please remember, at the end of the day, this is for fun and to keep the community together. Anyone who does not follow the rules, cheats, etc, will be removed from the contest, and possibly banded from all future contests.
- These guidelines can be changed at any time because Eric and John are in charge and are on a total power trip.
- Get practicing and good luck to all contestants