Fact: Crazy Kong was based off of dkongjpo roms. Hence, the ladder cheat, the barrel skip cheat, the 1234 level order, and "HOW HIGH CAN YOU TRY". these don't count as differences.
1) there seems to be a smaller sprite limit on the crazy kong boardset. this affects the following.
a) Number of barrels on barrel screen is limited to 4, plus the fireballs (i think no more than two). Makes game easier
b) number of elevator platforms limited to 3 on elevators screen, and second fireball is missing. Number of simultaneous springs limited to two. Makes game easier, but the elevator limit can trip you up.
2) the modified kong sprite can't actually kill you. this makes rivet screen easier.
3) crazy kongs animations are not properly synched. makes barrel's screen harder because you can't watch kong to see when it's safe to climb the ladder under him.
4) conveyor belt gets SUPER fast on factory. Makes level HARDER
5) glitch can cause all cement pans to stop appearing. makes level easier.
6) glitch lets you put down hammer on factory level. when put down it still retains it's smashing properties. Good for point pressing.
and, on part II only
7) ends of girders on barrel screen chopped off, making top hammer much harder to grab.
holes on barrel screen on lvl 2+
and in the cosmetic department
9) missing sounds and music
10) awesome new sounds and music. "WAKEUP!"
11) GIVE UP! on part ii (but that crazy kong, he never does give up, does he. he must know about the kill screen
12) hammers offset left of where they really are. probably the most annoying bug, with the animation issue a close second.
13) bug that makes both hammers vanish from sight sometimes after one is used. (but it's still there to grab, fortunately)
14) interesting colors.
15) foxfires don't exist, only fireballs.
16) various stupid graphical glitches. the worst of which is the lack of king climbing frames that DON'T hold Pauline. In part 2 this is worked around by having her vanish the instant he starts climbing.
Have i missed anything?
BTW i would like to see a bugfixed version of crazy kong, if anyone is insane enough to try. Surely we can do better then the bootleggers?
ideally, here's what would be fixed.
1) cclimber bigsprite changed back into normal kong, and given proper barrel chucking and chest beating animations. failing that, give the bigsprite proper animations, and make it synch properly in factory screen.
2) make smashed barrel sprites vanish instead of stick around until they get reused.
3) hammer offsets corrected
4) 1 pixel off vertical sprite offsets corrected
5) missing kong animation frames restored, so he actually picks up Pauline instead of runs up the ladders already carrying her. if this is impossible, part IIs workaround is pretty good.
6) Jumpman death tumbling animation lengthened to synch to new music. should stop on third to last note.
7) proper rivets on rivet stage
restoration of original sprite limit, to allow for full number of barrels, fireballs, and springs on all screens. current limit appears to six, plus jumpman and hammers.
9) possibly restoration of firefoxes.
What should be left as is
1) level colors. (but maybe improve the fireballs?)
2) existing music and sounds. especially the intermission tunes. The level complete tune is iconic, and MUST stay.
3) barrel board skip
4) ladder cheat
5) kill screen. the presence of the kill screen forces you to point press instead of marathon. therefore, it improves gameplay.
6) 3 elevator limit.
7) crazy fast conveyors.
hammer put down glitch.