Author Topic: dkshawn's Blog  (Read 9407 times)

Offline dkshawn

Re: dkshawn's Blog
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 06:33:45 PM »
Feeling good. Just put up 448,100 score on twitch. Two mental errors really cost me in this one. I felt like I could have just kept cruising! Hopefully I'm warming up for saturday! :)
DK Cabinet 1,022,700 KS (1/24/2015)
DK Killscreener Twitch TV  Streamer DKF Blogger DK 1 Million Point Scorer

Offline p2dose

• Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 07:15:57 PM »
well done mate oh yer

Offline dkshawn

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2013, 10:42:22 AM »
New personal best on cab during Kong Off 3 Wildcard qualifier 2! Second game of the day! My second guy for no reason I just jumped off the top girder on rivets. It happened because I was momentarily screwing around and pressing jump while climbing ladders like I saw Dean do and then pressed jump by accident when I was off the ladder! If I had that guy back I would've scored much higher! At the end of the video I open up my machine and show all the parts! Will submit for bounty of beating personal best by 55,600. Thanks to Cat for rooting for me!

http://www.twitch.tv/dkshawn/b/447168951
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 10:57:19 AM by dkshawn »

Offline dkshawn

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2013, 09:03:26 PM »
446,000 First Man -> 527,900 = Choke - So dissapointed

http://www.twitch.tv/dkshawn/b/447446459

Offline dkshawn

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2013, 04:45:59 PM »
Just scored 680,300 beating my old record from before the wildcard weekend by 149,700! Died on lvl 17 rivets. Almost made the 700 club! All my death were mistakes I could've avoided. I think the kill screen is within my reach!

Problem though, the stream is not showing up on my twitch! I wonder if anyone else is having this problem now. Sometimes there is a delay for it to show up on past broadcasts but it better show up quick!

edit: 2 and half hours and still no link! I know pictures don't count but at least here is a picture!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 06:43:14 PM by dkshawn »

Offline dkshawn

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 09:03:37 AM »
About 12:30 today I got the edit recent broadcasts email from twitch and it had a link to the stream which I then had to 'publish'. Now it is in my 'highlights' but not in my past history. The highlight does not let me 'save forever'!

http://www.twitch.tv/dkshawn/c/2778784
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 09:12:05 AM by dkshawn »

Offline Shane_NC

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 11:08:33 AM »
A highlight is automatically saved forever. Great job on the new PB shawn!
HIGH SCORES:
Donkey Kong Arcade: 865,900 22-1 KS
1-1: 11,300
Donkey Kong Junior MAME: 599,300 22-1 KS
Twitch TV  Streamer DK Killscreener Crazy Kong Killscreener DKF Blogger DK Jr. Killscreener

Offline dkshawn

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 12:59:27 PM »
Thanks Shane! Twitch sure made me sweat it out for 16 hours!! Haha

Offline dkshawn

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2013, 08:54:55 PM »
Havn't posted since the qualifier so it's update time. So last night I hadn't played in over two weeks had been on vacation and was busy. I had been practicing a bit on Mame here and there. First game scored 500k. Pretty good for a rusty first game. Then Shane stopped by and I had three restarts cause I was chatting and not focusing. So then I decided to focus up and ended up scoring 618,00 on that game. Pretty good! It's on my twitch highlight now. First man died lvl 8 second man died lvl 9 then lost last two men at 600k, 18k apart. But the funny thing was Shane put out the word in shoutbox when I hit about 600k with two men left and as soon as a bunch of people showed up in chat watching I choked the last two men right in a row. On my last man I mentioned my high score was near and then died literally about 5 seconds later. It was actually kind of embarassing and I felt kinda bad but I was laughing. I felt I was on a real roll though. The last two deaths were just stupid bad barrel jumps. But my average is going up and I'm getting closer to the KS. Shane has been watching my games when I stream and I appreciate his support and like having someone to chat with about DK stuff! I wish I had more time to play. I havn't mentioned before but I also play everquest and it takes away from DK time.

I have another story too. So my brother doesn't really play games too much but I was trying to talk him into playing DK on Mame when I was visiting him and he was showing some interest. He played a few games which was cool but he's a newb so I was explaining things and encouraging him. So then I loaded up the Mame savestate for level 4 elevator after I was explaining he had to learn it if he was ever to be good. And starting at the top he made it past the springs on his first try! It was a really amazing moment to see someone do that for the first time. Then he loaded the elevator from the start and made it from bottom to top on his next try! I was amazed and very happy for him! I guess it's just a lot of fun to see someone enjoying DK for their first times. :) Also he was telling me that I have to point press during the next qualifier since its a point competition. He was adding up how much more I would get if I grouped barrells and grabbed the bottom hammer and the elevator prizes. It was funny but he has a good points! I have a feeling I'll be sticking with my poser pace but we'll see. Next qulaifier is still about a month away!

Last nights twitch (618,000):
http://www.twitch.tv/dkshawn/c/2943611

Offline dkshawn

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2013, 01:59:52 AM »
I was just checking and noticed my kill screen was verified by twin galaxies and I'm ranked 27th on their board now. I'm excited to have the score validated there for my first cabinet submission! My video I submitted had two separate cabinet verifications videos which I hoped helped with the evidence.

The other thing is I guess I will blog that I have gotten a bit better at the bottom hammer and bringing the barrels down and I have noticed getting a lot of time left for grouping. Before I was dying almost every time after bottom hammer faded but I've been surviving much better now. I've been mame practicing just a bit but I feel like I could improve to be able to bottom hammer and group a bunch to equal good point pressing. My problem now practicing is dying too much on random bad barrel jumps since I'm jumping so much more now. I have also practiced always getting all 3 elevator prizes which is good but still risky as I'm not 100% comfortable with my 3rd prize spring jumps on 4+. If I can't be consistent I'm not going far but that's what practice is for! Qualifier #3 is next weekend!

Offline dkshawn

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2013, 06:03:32 PM »
My Wildcard Weekend #3 weekend wrap up:

Saturday - Complete bust. I think my high score was 200k. I hadn't played in two weeks and I tried point pressing which got me nowhere because I haven't practiced enough with my pressing changes.

Sunday - Reverted back to my normal strategies. Morning time - scored 530,100, which ended up being my high score for the weekend. My next game I got 528k and then the game after that I got 520k. I was pretty frustrated that my last two games failed to increase my score.

So I played roughly 10 hours of DK this weekend. Five hours each day I think. I'm a burned out now.

I did start getting both elevator prizes which was good but I noticed if you don't get them cleanly you can be low on time for the springs. My eventual goal of getting all three prizes may have to depend on the clock.

Some other things I discovered I need to work on is the timing of hitting fireballs when they are coming down the ladder on you when you have the hammer on rivets. Three times I was turning when they were coming down but the timing was off and they got through the hammer. I was pretty mad about it but at least it's something I know I can work on.

I also discovered a flaw in the way I was going up the ladder at top left barrels but I have that cleared up now which is good because I did die twice this weekend due to what I was doing there.

Also I think I died once on the springs on each of my 500k+ games which I like to say is unacceptable. I might have been a little rusty there but it cost me.

I really wanted to add bottom hammer to my game but I just wasn't ready to risk it this weekend. I thought if I had a big game maybe I would start adding it in but it didn't happen. Also, grouping at the top, I just need to work on a lot more before I add it to my game. The jumping left when needed is getting me killed by wild barrel. I know I need to go right first but it just wasn't working out enough.

So I guess I feel ok about three 500k+ games in a row but I was pretty disappointed I didn't score higher. I didn't practice for two weeks before the weekend which hurt me. But honestly I am glad this weekend is over because I need to some no-pressure time to work on my game.

My goal I have now for the future is to work on my consistency by continuing to improve my basic skills and strategies but also to improve my pressing skills so that I can get one million and be competitive in the Kong Off 4! I've been saying I have overachieved lately but I will still be working hard to see how high I can get!

Kongrats to all the qualifiers of the Kong Off 3! So many of you have raised the bar this year, it is very impressive. It seems 2013 was the best year for Donkey Kong in a long time. I think there was like 13 new killscreeners just this year. It would be so fun to meet all of you guys at the kong off, but to be honest, I am leaning on not going this year. It is possible I could decide to go for fun at the last minute but I would really like to be a better competitor when I go and I'm just not there yet. The field of competitors will be more amazing than ever this year and I wish you all the best of luck!

Offline dkshawn

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2013, 08:51:06 PM »
It's been a while since I wrote in my blog and the kong off 3 was held. Kongrats to the winner and all the participants. Due to several qualifiers above me declining to go, I believe the final online qulaifier spot was passed down to me and it was a tough decision but I finally decided not to go. Maybe next year!

So I've been practicing on mame a lot since I last blogged. I havn't even played on my cab. But my game has progressed now. I always get the bottom hammer now and always get both elevator prizes. I also do barrel grouping at the top. I went through a lot of bottom hammer practicing but now my standard practice routing is try to complete all of level 5 without dying and then seeing how many points I got on that level.

The way I estimate is like this:
Level 5 starting score: 100,000.  Most average level scores are a few thousand over fifty thousand so as a base 50,000 x 17 = 850,000. 850,000 + 100,000 = 950,000. 950,000 is my base score I do the rest of my math against. Seventeen is the number of levels between level 5 and 21. So if I complete level 5 with a score of 58,000. I say 8000 x 17 = 136,000 and then 136,000 + 950,000 = 1,086,000. So everytime I complete a level I can estimate my pace and its usually roughly in the same range like maybe 3000 x 17 puts me on a million pace.

My problem now is I just die too much all the time in different random spots. I think it is partly because I am practicing and dont care when I die. But trying to complete one level without dying while point pressing can be tough. Usually I restart the level when I die to restart my estimate but if I keep going I can usually complete the level without dying again but I think I only have completed two levels in a row without dying like once maybe. I clear all the boards all the time but I'm doing so much more now there many more chances to die. That's where just crazy practicing comes in, practicing so many different situations. I tried not grouping at top of barrels to see if I could still pace for a million but there are too many additional point opportunites when grouping. There are many different grouping combinations that can kill you easily but I have been improving quite a bit over average now. Just still have that problem with consistency. But I am excited for the skill improvements I have made with grouping.

I also have an best standard point estimate for each of the boards. Like 8,400 for a pie factory free pass etc. If I add up my all my best average estimates for the level and count 13,500 for each barrel level (my best). It comes out to 1,177,800. Now that is in reality way inflated due to all the boards where you lose all the bonus time like rivets or pie or get bad barrels etc. But that is my highest estimate I have made. Usually I average level 5 for an estimate of just over exactly 1 million. So when I come up with some ways to occasionally get higher barrel points (13,500 is my best, 11,000 is average), I think it is possible I could pace over one million.

Also I should be getting a new laptop soon and I'm hoping I will be able to twitch stream my mame practice on there since I have only streamed my cab before.

Offline dkshawn

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2014, 02:35:45 PM »
Time for another update. Well the big news is that I installed my high score save kit. It went pretty smoothly and I am excited to have finally installed it after it sat on the shelf for a few months. I just put up 400k on it today. I think it is going to help motivate me to play full games since I can keep trying to set a new high score for my cab. I think I'm done practicing now. After months, I'm all practiced out. A while back Corey mentioned to me about not grouping barrels at top and I did some practicing and found I actually score slightly higher on average when I don't do the grouping. I have good skills at it but I'm not planning on it doing it anymore really. So now my barrel routine is pretty straight forward. I feel like my skill level has plateaued now higher than it was before. All that is left now is to show up and put scores up. Still easier said than done.

I noticed that I have the lowest KS score on the high score list. Probably due to not grabbing any bottom hammers in that game. So I'm looking forward to my next (2nd) KS being much higher if not a million. One million is still my goal I suppose. If I KS and fall short I am sure it will be very close.

My new laptop streams really great I had been been streaming practice mame on it. I won't stream full games on mame, only my cab. But I did notice that practically no one ever viewed my stream. I kinda thought it was cause people don't want to watch mame or practicing but then I noticed that there would be like 8 people watching other streams at the same time so I suppose I'm just not that popular. Hah. Kinda takes the motivation away to stream when no one watches though. But for the KS I will for verification. I need to get unlazy and start streaming my cab again now. That will be my next step as part of my million point march.

BTW if it's still possible I would be happy to have a KS card. I see the other thread about it. No one has ever asked me about it though. :(

Another thing I would note and I didn't see a lot of  talk about this but Billy Mitchell got knocked out of the top 10 last month and I think that was a momentous moment in DK history! And Steve Weibe will be next since he is now #10!

Offline hchien

• Spring Jumper
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2014, 05:38:31 PM »
Hey Shawn, Before going for the 1M, I'd work on upping your running boards score (ie efficiency).  You should be able to get about 900K playing pretty safe and without point pressing.  (The top players can get about 950K without any point pressing.  Ross got 970K at WCR#1 I think with little/no point pressing).  But 900K/high 800K is good enough.  At that point, I would say focus on point pressing.   A 900K killscreen would look something like this:

100K start + 47K/level + some points for deaths/killscreen

A 47K level is roughly:

8500 barrel
8000+ conveyer
6000+ springs
7000+ rivet

See what your per board averages are and figure out where your weakness is.  Then work from there.

BTW if it's still possible I would be happy to have a KS card. I see the other thread about it. No one has ever asked me about it though. :(

The planning for those card occurred a few months prior to KO3 (around the same time as your first KS), so you were not left out intentionally!  Also did you ever send in a DVD of your game to TG/get it verified?  Or (as was stated in the other thread) you could try changing your name to Mitchell Elliott.  Kappa.  I'm not sure when Walter is planning on updating the set.  I think before KO4 would be a good assumption.
World Record for most insults to Vincent and lowest 1 hour Q*bert score: 395985
Twitch TV  Streamer DK Killscreener DK 1 Million Point Scorer DK 1.1 Million Point Scorer DK Jr. Killscreener Kong-Off 1 Champion KO4 Champion

Offline dkshawn

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2014, 09:49:03 PM »
Where would the dk community be without hank i say! Yes i did send in my stream dvd and it was verified and posted up on TG before the site went down. I think maybe you didnt read my post from before the last where i reviewed my scoring. Basically level 5+ i average 53k per level. Sometimes i might get 50/51k and if i do good maybe i get 56k but i think i average 53k. That is almost exactly million point pace. So i just need to play my game out. I cant even imagine not grabbing bottom hammer anymore. But lots of talk need action now. About the ks card that would make sense for a new round of ks players to be looked at before ko4. I just dont want to get left out cause that would make me sad! I squeeked in top 50 i think like 48th to get ks and it does mean a lot to me.