Figured I would put this here. Last year at KO4 streaming was not able to be done due to a lot of factors: Horrible Internet at the convention center, no camera setups, etc, etc. I want to change this for KO5. I started by looking into the place that handles internet for David L Lawrence center they want $3,495 for a single drop of 3 Mbps and 8 devices
- That falls in the no way category
to that I say.
I looked around and this is what appears to be one of the more cost effective options. I have 4 laptops I can bring to the event (and possibly 2 more as well for a total of 6)
1. Get 3 T-Mobile 4G Mobile Hotspots (Currently $79.99 + $20 for a Sim Card Kit - $99.99 Total) http://www.t-mobile.com/internet-devices/zte-falcon-z-917-hotspot.html
- Approx $300
2. Get the 18GB Data Plan for them - $80 a Month (Plus taxes) - Approx $270 (Or look into possibly the $95 prepaid 22GB Plan which is another $15 ($95 vs $80)
3. Get Cameras for all 16 Cabinets - This is proving to be the hardest part. I've gotten 2 different "cheap" models and both are WAY to zoomed in. Looks like this will require a camera that does auto-zoom because so far to get the screen the cameras have to be like 6-8 feet away :/ - Anyone know of a good camera model to try this with? So far I think the Logitech C270 might be the one. It's only $22.99 right now at Walmart.com and apparently does the zoom/etc. Anyone use this camera now? If this works that is $386.23 for 16. Course if people bring their webcam to the event it could cut down the number needed dramatically. I will bring my Lifecam Studio for sure.
4. USB Extension Cables - $9.79 on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/Importer520-Premium-Extender-Repeater-Extension/dp/B00FFKIUJS/ref=sr_1_30?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1467041640&sr=1-30&keywords=extension+cable+usb&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_five_browse-bin%3A7800930011
- - Approx $160.00 for 16.
5. 4 USB Powered Hub (For the Webcams to the laptop as they have 3 ports) - $13.99 $64 Total - https://www.amazon.com/ONCHOICE-Ports-Network-Switch-Laptop/dp/B018XB7L9A/ref=sr_1_18?s=pc&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1467041889&sr=1-18&keywords=powered+usb+hub&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011%2Cp_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin%3A6801586011
6. 1GB Switch (To stream local to the "main" laptop) - $20.00 for 8 port switch - https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Gigabit-Ethernet-Desktop-TL-SG1008D/dp/B001EVGIYG/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1467049363&sr=1-3&keywords=1G+switch
7. Cat 5/6 Cables - 25ft plus are only $7 - $10 - Will need 4 for the laptops on the cabinets and then a 50FT to get to the desk. $50
This should enable 4 laptops to stream all 16 cabinets then entire time. I also hope to have a good mic and a dedicated server for the 'main" stream so there can be commentary/etc when people are not streaming. Xsplit also streams "locally" so Between my personal Verizon MIFI and these we should have plenty of bandwidth and Gigs to handle it all and should someone get a good "game" going we can bring that up on the "main" stream as well. I did some testing and even 300k CBR is very watchable and fairly sure it will work for 4 or 5 streams over the 3 days.
Whats the point here? Well as you can see this all adds up to a fair amount so if people can help with the costs I will work hard to ensure this works out. I will be making mounts for each cabinet out of wood just like i have now. I simply cannot afford to do all of this myself especially as I still have all the costs for going to KO5 to account for as well. If enough people can chip in a little bit I'm hopeful this will be a pretty good experience for everyone to watch and be a part of. I can't guarantee it will be perfect but I'm hopeful this will do very well. I also want to have the scoreboard online and updated frequently so everyone knows who has what going on. If anyone has an suggestions or questions here please just let me know. Trying to figure out if this is worth doing based upon the react I get here people can just paypal me or something else can be worked out.
1. Internet - $600
2. Cameras - $385 (This can be flexible if people bring cameras or a cheaper/better option is found for under $22)
3. USB Cables/Hubs - $224
4. 1G Switch and Network Cables - $70
5. Laptop/Computers - $0. (I will bring at least 4 but hoping to have 6 ready. If someone will have one as backup/etc would be helpful.)
Total : $1279.00