Author Topic: 200 hours for Carnival and Galaga. My 200th thread!  (Read 152 times)

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
200 hours for Carnival and Galaga. My 200th thread!
« on: November 18, 2017, 05:55:34 AM »
I was actually thinking about going in an entirely different direction with my 200th thread, but then while planning that I realized that my goals for these two games coincidentally were 200 hours.  So why not make an on going blog about trying to get really high scores for these two games?

First with Carnival:  The record on this game has a lot of respect.  My goal is to see if this record deserves all the hype that it gets.  If after 200 hours I get a higher score on MAME, than this record doesn't deserve the respect it gets.  If after 200 hours I am nowhere near this score, than yeah, it deserves all the respect in the world.

Second with Galaga:  After I got the record on DK3 I wanted to prove myself on a major established game.  I did that with Donkey Kong Junior.  Having said that DKJr isn't a shooter game.  After all these years I really haven't gotten a great score on ANY shooter Arcade/MAME game besides DK3.  Oh to be sure.  I have good scores on Zaxxon, Moon Patrol, and Galaga, but none of them are great scores, or even close to great.  Galaga is basically the Donkey Kong of shooter games.  I believe the Galaxian record is harder, but over the years Galaga has had the most competition.  Yeah, you could argue Robotron2084 has more competition, but it's not really the classical shooter game like Galaga.  Neither is Zaxxon, or Moon Patrol for that matter.

So my goals.  Obviously to put in 200 hours time for both games.  200 for Carnival, and 200 for Galaga.  Except for the Donkey Kong series games I have never put in that type of time in a game.  Even for Arm Wrestling I didn't put in that type of time.   

I will be playing this at Retro Uprising initially.  Every time I get a new high score the next day I will post about it in this blog.  At first I'll be making posts every day, but that'll soon change as I hit plateau's.  So both of these games are the classical shooter games.  One isn't really played by many people but has a legendary record that I'll plan to find out if it's truly legendary, and the other is/was highly competitive, and I plan on putting a respectable score on this title.

Ultimate goals: 100k for Carnival,  Killscreen Galaga on difficulty A.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 06:31:36 AM by homerwannabee »
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
DK3 World Record Holder DK Jr. Killscreener DKF Blogger Crazy Kong Killscreener Twitch TV  Streamer DK3 Repetitive Blue Screen

Offline Barra

• Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
Re: 200 hours for Carnival and Galaga. My 200th thread!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 06:11:45 AM »
It took you 200 threads but you got there in the end. Finally something worth reading  ROFL

Wish you the best of luck, sir. Will keep a keen eye on your progress :)
First player to get both highest and lowest score during a Kong-Off <Kuh>
Twitch TV  Streamer DKF Blogger DK Killscreener Crazy Kong Killscreener DK 1 Million Point Scorer DK Jr. Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screen

Offline krehztim

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 10:29:48 AM »
I noticed you were playing Carnival this morning.  I was trying to start my journey with Congo Bongo (horrid game).  I can't wait to watch the dozens of replays.  Thanks.

In all seriousness, remember there have been issues over the past year with high-input games being saved to the servers.  My 90-minute Crazy Kong was fine, but several people have lost hour-long games that had more inputs.  Kong has just recently moved to new servers, and I haven't heard of any issues so far.  Just wanted you to be aware.

Good luck! 
Tim
Twitch TV  Streamer Crazy Kong Killscreener

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 04:36:20 PM »
I noticed you were playing Carnival this morning.  I was trying to start my journey with Congo Bongo (horrid game).  I can't wait to watch the dozens of replays.  Thanks.

In all seriousness, remember there have been issues over the past year with high-input games being saved to the servers.  My 90-minute Crazy Kong was fine, but several people have lost hour-long games that had more inputs.  Kong has just recently moved to new servers, and I haven't heard of any issues so far.  Just wanted you to be aware.

Good luck! 
Tim
Good to know.   For some reason I think it's the .ip address or maybe even the computer.  I use to have that issue a few years ago, but since then I have had no problems.  I mean my seven hour Donkey Kong 3 score went through just fine.

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
DK3 World Record Holder DK Jr. Killscreener DKF Blogger Crazy Kong Killscreener Twitch TV  Streamer DK3 Repetitive Blue Screen

Online QAOP Spaceman

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 05:05:05 PM »
Good luck George.

I am personally waiting for thread #201
Jammvyy: sue . its pulicly icarest

Jammvyy: incareat
Twitch TV  Streamer Crazy Kong Killscreener

Offline johnmcallister

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 12:17:58 AM »
Need a weekly log with some stats and progression of your scores.  This should be interesting as Carnival will take some serious time and effort to figure out how to get past stage 5 and above.  Would love to hear about the things you discover along the way.   Happy gaming.
Crazy Kong Killscreener

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 05:22:13 AM »
OK, I'm basically going to update this every time I get a new high on one of these games the next day.  So at first it'll be daily, but it'll eventually become weekly.

Progression of high scores for Carnival

Time spent 2hrs 31 minutes in total

Galaga high score

Time spent on Galaga 44 minutes total

The highest I got was level 4 for Carnival.  Haven't yet started save stating yet.  I like to get a feel for the game before I do that.  Things I learned.
1)Gotta get the flags before I can clear a level.  2) Getting the bonus is a waste.  It give less than 500 points.  Gotta focus on more important things.  3)In order to get the bonus on the top left hand of the screen, all you have to do is shoot at it, and hit it.

As far as Galaga, well 283k isn't even close to my all time highest.  I got this on my first game, and my next two game sucked.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
« Reply #7 on: Today at 04:11:37 AM »
I'm already getting to level 5 on Carnival.  I am noticing a lot of this game has to do with luck.  Sometimes you get a boatload of extra bullets, and sometimes it's almost nothing.  Also sometimes you get a lot of ducks, and sometimes it's nothing.  It's a very luck based game, but of course, if you are good at the game, you can probably still overcome crummy luck in the beginning stages.

My new Carnival high scores.

Time spent yesterday on Carnival 2 hours and 21 minutes; Time spent in total 4 hours and 52 minutes

No new Galaga high score although I'm getting better at the bonus stages got the first three bonus stages as perfect one time, and one time got four out the first five bonus stages as perfect.  I'm just screwing up the higher levels.  A couple of times I got to board 20 without dying, and then had some epic melt downs.  seven months ago I was much better.  Eventually I'm certain I'll get back to that level.   Just need more time.

Time spent yesterday on Galaga 1 hour and 33 minutes; Time spent in total 2 hours and 17 minutes

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard