Author Topic: Removed Junior scores from the past  (Read 1915 times)

Offline marky_d

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
Removed Junior scores from the past
« on: April 01, 2014, 11:59:22 AM »
I was curious if anyone had any insights or thoughts about why some DKJr scores were removed from the Twin Galaxies high score database years ago, and never reinstated. There may be one or two more I'm not remembering, but these are scores that came after Billy Mitchell's 957k record from late 1982 that appeared in various gaming magazines which used TG as a source:

999,200   Tim Williams   8/83
1,017,300 Joe Malasarte  10/83
1,259,300 Calvin Frampton 1/84

If the argument was made that these scores were deemed impossible, I could see The Frampton score meeting strong scrutiny at the time, but the other two? It seems strange that they would have been removed as they weren't suspiciously huge increases, and other sketchy (and in other cases impossible) scores achieved on other titles were allowed to stay, with some still remaining to this day.

I would especially like to hear Tim Sczerby's opinion on the subject. :)

Twitch TV  Streamer DK Killscreener DK 1 Million Point Scorer DK Jr. Killscreener DK Jr. Arcade WR Holder DK 1.1 Million Point Scorer

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
Re: Removed Junior scores from the past
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 01:35:01 PM »
 ╘<Tim>
DK Remix Killscreener Twitch TV  Streamer DK Killscreener DKF Blogger DK 1 Million Point Scorer

Offline ripper

• Twitch Webpage
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 04:07:18 AM »
I was curious if anyone had any insights or thoughts about why some DKJr scores were removed from the Twin Galaxies high score database years ago, and never reinstated. There may be one or two more I'm not remembering, but these are scores that came after Billy Mitchell's 957k record from late 1982 that appeared in various gaming magazines which used TG as a source:

999,200   Tim Williams   8/83
1,017,300 Joe Malasarte  10/83
1,259,300 Calvin Frampton 1/84

If the argument was made that these scores were deemed impossible, I could see The Frampton score meeting strong scrutiny at the time, but the other two? It seems strange that they would have been removed as they weren't suspiciously huge increases, and other sketchy (and in other cases impossible) scores achieved on other titles were allowed to stay, with some still remaining to this day.

I would especially like to hear Tim Sczerby's opinion on the subject. :)

What year were the scores removed?  During my time at TG I don't recall this happening.  And your certainly right about there being no reason for the scores to be removed as they are all possible even though, like you said, the 1.2M score in 1984 probably didn't happen.  I really doubt people were into point pressing that much back then.  I would imagine, back then, that reaching a million or the KS would be the goal.  And if they didn't know the game had a KS then why point press at all, right?  You never know but I have my doubts about it.

Offline marky_d

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 10:02:47 AM »
What year were the scores removed?  During my time at TG I don't recall this happening.  And your certainly right about there being no reason for the scores to be removed as they are all possible even though, like you said, the 1.2M score in 1984 probably didn't happen.  I really doubt people were into point pressing that much back then.  I would imagine, back then, that reaching a million or the KS would be the goal.  And if they didn't know the game had a KS then why point press at all, right?  You never know but I have my doubts about it.

I don't know the exact dates they were removed, but they at one point were all listed at TG verified scores and none of them lasted more than 2-3 months for some reason. I know most players weren't aware of the killscreen back then (I certainly never heard of it), but probably most of the top contenders were aware of it since it was discovered at the TG event in November 1982. I just find it curious that a coveted 1m threshold game was "never verified" when many players were so close at the time.
Twitch TV  Streamer DK Killscreener DK 1 Million Point Scorer DK Jr. Killscreener DK Jr. Arcade WR Holder DK 1.1 Million Point Scorer

Offline marky_d

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 10:14:46 PM »
For what it's worth, Joe Malasarte scored 97,500 on DKJr as part of the That's Incredible Invitational qualifiers on Jan 9, 1983, with the overall top score being 564,600 by Matt Brass. So nine months had passed before his alleged 1 million game made it's way to the TG database. That would have been plenty of time for him to improve his game and up his score, so I can't imagine it was removed based on how low his live performance score was. He certainly wasn't an unknown player at the time either since Walter apparently invited him to the competition. His 97,500 performance still stands as his score in the TG database.