Author Topic: dkshawn's Blog  (Read 9393 times)

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
Re: dkshawn's Blog
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2014, 06:51:43 AM »
Ross' WCR#1 game contained a fair amount of grouping up top.  He skipped all the bottom hammers and just grouped until the fireball started climbing.  Played it pretty safe but he did do some point pressing.

I think my first top hammer KS was 914k...but technically it wasn't a KS since I died jumping the first barrel on 22-1  FailFish
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Twitch TV  Streamer DK Killscreener DK 1 Million Point Scorer

Offline dkshawn

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2014, 01:14:59 PM »

Hey guys it's update time!

Well my games haven't been going so good. Lately, all my games are ending at 300k. It seems I still need to work on some nuances of my game. Rivets have been giving me a really hard time lately and last night I realized I need to work on my bottom hammer when a certain scenario occurs. Namely when the fireball comes up early and then escapes back down before I can hammer it. But it seems like it's always something different. Also, restarts have really been frustrating me so I've been skipping lvl 1-4 bottom hammers and most point pressing 1-4. I'm in no shape for competition! I wanted to play vs against JC but I'm in no shape to compete! Lately I've died in that bad spot with hammer right next to ladder where you dont hit it twice and then from hammer expiring when about to hit a fireball. Stuff like that's been frustrating me. So I just keep playing trying to keep things in mind to stay safe. But I'm not playing a whole lot like every couple night Ill play for an hour or two. We'll see how I can shape up before the next qualifier!
DK Cabinet 1,022,700 KS (1/24/2015)
DK Killscreener Twitch TV  Streamer DKF Blogger DK 1 Million Point Scorer

Offline dkshawn

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2014, 08:34:27 PM »
I filled out my pace chart for my 18-5 806400 game showing a 974,000 pace. I attached a screenshot of the chart after I filled it out. Wildcard is coming up this weekend!

http://www.twitch.tv/dkshawn/c/4121295

http://www.alexwgold.com/dk/index.php

Offline marinomitch13

• Strategy Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2014, 08:55:33 PM »
It's cool to see that at least some people are still finding that pace site to be useful. I'll keep pestering my friend to update it, but he seems to keep putting it off because he has more urgent duties.
“Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee.” -Augustine, Confessions.
Twitch TV  Streamer DKF Blogger DK Killscreener

Offline dkshawn

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2014, 05:14:43 PM »

Hey guys it's been a long time since I blogged here and it's been 13 months since my ks. KO4 qualifier 5 is coming up in two weeks in November.

Here's the good part about where I'm at with my game. For level 5+ I always grab the bottom hammer and group at top. That combination is a marked improvement in my gameplay since my ks. I'm getting more consistent with no death level 5 starts at 100k. My current pace is just over 1 million while playing well. My main problem has been consistency. Basically I die a lot for crazy reasons. I've just been plugging away at trying to play mistake free and try to improve my game by carefully considering my deaths. Also I don't spend a ton of time playing DK. I may play for an hour or two a couple times a week depending. I honestly can get burned out pretty quick when games go bad but I always want to play again later.

What's been happening over the past many months? Well, I only semi recently began always grouping at the top. What I had added to my game since my ks was always using bottom hammer, but that was only bringing my pace up to about 975k. I was sticking with it trying to ks that way and I had a couple big scores (855k) but I didn't ks again. So while continuing to play I would occasionally do grouping on my last man for games that were blown. I had previously practiced grouping skills on mame but I never added it to my cab game. So after working out some kinks in adding it to my regular play, I am now always grouping with little fear of dying in the process. I believe this has helped inch my pace a bit over 1 million now.

Also worth mentioning was that I had a great time at the retro arcade night in Ft. Lauderdale a few weeks ago and I got a chance to meet Steve Kleisath  and Robert Childs while I was there. It was a lot of fun talking to them and getting to play some great classic arcade and pinball games! Also, Florida Free Play is coming up in Orlando soon and I'm planning on going up there to check it out. Should be a blast with so many games and personalities there.

http://www.freeplayflorida.com/

Here is a another pace chart I filled out from my game the other night. It is a small game sample but it was 516900 LVL 12-5 1.014m pace. With the additions to my game play, it is interesting to compare the pace averages from my last post for barrels and rivets because my rivets went up 1400 while my barrels only went up 600!

http://www.twitch.tv/dkshawn/c/5388613

Offline dkshawn

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2015, 11:20:08 AM »
Hey guys time to do a little reflecting. Grab your popcorn because it's going to be a long one.  <popcorn>

So the new news is I finally scored a million points (1,022,700) last week with my second killscreen. Yay! Pretty big! It took me 16 months to go from my first and only other kill screen to get the million. A big thank you to everyone who rooted for me and congratulated me. The DK community makes playing all the more fun and exciting. Also, through a stroke of luck, the same day that I scored the million, later that night, at Retro Arcade Night in Ft. Lauderdale, I got to take a thumbs up picture with Billy Mitchell congratulating me on my score. That was a real thrill and quite a day!

I want to mention here a bit about why I play DK. To start, I began playing DK because of KoK and the nostalgia I had from playing DK as a kid. I continued to play DK for two reasons. One it is fun and second and more importantly to me is that it is an extremely difficult challenge. I think that there are other classic games that are more difficult (I always think Defender) but DK is certainly very difficult. So today the main reason that I play is the personal challenge to raise my skill and score. I am trying to stress personal challenge. It's not about the world record, or prizes, or wanting attention. It's because I stubbornly (donkey) refuse to give up. I think of it like mountain climbing, like I am trying to climb Mount Kong! I never wanted to be the best, but I've always wanted to be one of the best. If you read the beginning of my blog, I mention that, I think it was 2011, I was ranked 19th on TG with 535k. At that point I thought I was one of the best and was content to stop playing, especially because there was no community like the DK forum back then. A few years later, and until now, I clearly was not one of the best and was ranked 68th on the forum around 2013 with that 535k. Somehow that lit a huge fire under me to keep improving my game. I would not be happy until I felt I was one of the best again. That's just how I looked at it and what has motivated me. Even with my first killscreen, as time went by and tons more players were playing, I had dropped back down to the mid 60's rank.

So I'd like to recap the last 16 months. First off, as soon as I got my first kill screen I was immediately asked what my next goal was and if I was going for a million. Honestly, I felt like getting the killscreen was such a major accomplishment and I didn't really have any further goals. But I had come to really love DK and I didn't want to stop playing. My KS was 837k and I knew that to get a million I would have to do something that I didn't really want to do. Point press. I used to see the top players point pressing, and I just thought that they were crazy and I didn't want to do it. So I spent three months doing nothing but practicing lvl 5 bottom hammer on MAME save state. I thought that I would go back to my cab, add in the bottom hammer, and achieve another high score. But that's when things fell apart. I had become 'rusty' in playing a full game. Even though I had a ton of experience, I spent the next several months basically sucking at the first four levels. It took me even longer than that to fully get my wild barrel skills fully under control. Then overall I had major issues with a couple of things. First, the various combo barrel jumps during 'transition' was killing me. When you run the board to the top you're mainly avoiding combo barrel jumping issues but after incorporating the bottom hammer, the transition game just opened a whole can of worms that took a lot of time and experience to work out. Another flaw I had not worked out was bottom hammer fade timing and also what I'll call 'barrel alignments' prior to transition. So I continued to work on these things but something else continued to happen. Basically, for many many months, I just kept finding like a million different ways to randomly die. Many of these deaths were not related to a particular skill set or strategy. It was just always some small momentary mistake and it seemed never ending. I turned off many many games and quit because I died on lvl 5 or 6 for some stupid reason. For quite a while I was playing at a 975k pace but could not stop making random mistakes. The minute my first man died due to a random mistake I would become very upset. A lot of times I would quit the game after the first or second mistake. Around this time I began to add barrel grouping to my game. I had already practiced grouping on MAME and understood the basics so in a game when I would die I would keep playing but add grouping into the game since I figured my game was over anyways. As my grouping skills became more solid (I still have flaws), I began always grouping and noticed my pace had improved to over 1 million. But I still continued to make random mistakes. I couldn't stop making mistakes. It was becoming increasing frustrating, especially when I was putting so much mental effort into it. We had the last online tourney and I continued to make mistakes. All my games I played through would end up around the 500k range. So honestly guys, I started to feel really embarrassed about my scores. I had recently met a bunch of people in the community IRL and I was just embarrassed that with so much effort I was still on 'fluke' status with only one killscreen. But I started to see some light at the end of the tunnel. Even though I was very disappointed that I didn't score well in the online tourney (the last for a qualifying spot for the kong off), I had been spending extra time playing DK and my first man score had been greatly improving. This was a big sign that all the pieces of my game were coming together. I was getting close. I began to feel confident in my skills and instead of fearing the inevitable mistake, my feeling was that I didn't expect to die. Then one other thing happened worth mentioning. When I play DK, I assume because of some sort of mental anxiety (plus the florida humidity), my hand gets sweaty. All this time I have had a golf towel and after every board I wipe my hand and the joystick so my hand doesn't slip. Well, in my last game of the tourney, on my last man at around 600k, due to my hand being sweaty, my hand flew off the joystick and I died. I was tired of dealing with it, and it had just cost me an important score, so I decided to do something else about it, and went out and bought a golf glove. Problem solved. It worked great. I didn't have to worry about my hand slipping any more. Then a few weeks later I had a 600k first man on lvl 13 (game ended at 700k). I felt very confident after that game and I knew I was getting close. Then shortly after, last week, I finally scored the million. It's funny that I was just soo thrilled. I had spent so much time and effort into it, banging my head against the wall, disappointment after disappointment. It was such a relief to have achieved my goal. I managed to become the 20th person to get a million on a cabinet and I am currently ranked 23rd overall, 18th on a cabinet. That makes me happy.

So here I am today and now the new KS, the new million, is 1.1. It's never good enough is it?! Haha! Honestly, before my first KS, I never thought I'd get a million. But I continued to put one foot in front of the other and stubbornly (donkey) refused to quit. I definitely never had intentions for 1.1. I really never even thought about it. But... I found some motivation looking at the scoreboard. First, I notice that for quite a while in my game I was playing at about 1.05 pace, and I realize that I steered a lot of barrels away and also that I stopped grouping at 17-3. So... I think if I could improve my start score a bit (109k isn't good enough), manage to group the entire game (extra man in the bank), and I steer less barrels away (jump more), AND I modify my bottom hammer strategy (don't grab hammer when fireball comes up early), then there is a chance I could get 1.1. Now, that is all far easier said than done. Although I do have confidence in my game, I am fully aware of the luck factor and the difficulty in what has eluded me, consistency. But what I'm thinking is that for the skill level that I am at, it is still a matter of baby steps, one foot in front of the other, that could get me there. The other motivation is the Kong Off. IF I were to score 1.1 (top 10), I believe that would earn me an invitation to the Kong Off and that would be very exciting to be able to compete at that level. Not there yet! Some other scores such as 1.05 or 1.075 would also be fun for me as it relates to Billy, Steve, and Corey. As of today, I  am planning on going either way because I realize that getting to know people in the community is actually more fun than playing. And I don't have to feel embarrassed about being on fluke status anymore! Maybe if they have a walk up bracket I could play but either way I would enjoy being there. I kind of regret not going last year when I was offered the last spot kind of at the last minute due to drop outs. I didn't want to go and not be competative but I think now that was a mistake because I missed out on a lot of fun.

Last note is that I took out my high score save kit out of my cabinet because it doesn't save scores over 1 million. I won't have to worry about verification plus it's no fun it didn't save my score.

~ DKShawn

P.S. It's Superbowl Sunday. Go Pats!!!

Offline Xermon54

• Elite Member
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2015, 12:14:19 PM »
Nice post, Shawn  ;)

I can definitely relate to the fact that we're never satisfied about our scores. Personally, I thought that I would stop after reaching my first kill screen, but changed my mind. and again. and again. and again  Kappa.

I'm happy to see that you're willing to play at 1.1m pace. 1.1m is a lot of fun, Wes is the best example!...  <Allen>

Joke aside, I wish you the best with your new goal! KO4 is coming soon, it would be hard to qualify in top 10, but you can definitely do it if you play a lot. But playing at 1.1m+, you'll see it's a whole new world of frustration   Kappa

Can't wait to see you stream again ;-)
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Twitch TV  Streamer DK Killscreener DK 1 Million Point Scorer DK 1.1 Million Point Scorer DKF Blogger

Offline VON

• Elite Member
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2015, 03:44:10 AM »
I was getting close. I began to feel confident in my skills and instead of fearing the inevitable mistake, my feeling was that I didn't expect to die.

Corner turned.  Flip switched.

Confidence is huge!  Though I most definitely still get rattled by repeated ThunderDomings from levels 1-4.

Offline WCopeland

• Spring Jumper
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2015, 05:48:20 AM »
1.1m is a lot of fun, Wes is the best example!

fk this abuse
Twitch TV  Streamer DK Killscreener DK 1 Million Point Scorer DK Online Open #4 Winner DK 1.1 Million Point Scorer Crazy Kong Killscreener DKF Blogger Pauline WR Holder DK 1st Man Million DK 1st man 1.1 Million DK Jr. Killscreener 1 Million Point Trifecta DK Arcade WR Holder DK 1.2 Million Point Scorer

Offline Shnypz

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2015, 09:00:11 AM »
Golf glove...LIT  Kreygasm I also suffer from sweaty hands when I play. I might need to pick one up if my game improves.

Grats on the score...keep grinding to 1.1!
DKF Blogger Twitch TV  Streamer

Offline dkshawn

« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2015, 11:17:39 AM »
Watch me go on an epic 20 minute wild barrel rant!

http://www.twitch.tv/dkshawn/c/6648173

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2015, 05:56:30 PM »
Hey Shawn,

I realize this comes as small consolation, but we've all been there.  Tens of thousands of times.

This is the Level 3-1 barrel board that Shawn is talking about:

Level 3-1 Barrel Board

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Twitch TV  Streamer Most Time Online DKF Blogger DK Killscreener

Offline dkshawn

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2015, 05:19:40 PM »
My new 'WTF was I thinking' clip. Warning - a lot of profanity! Hopefully you will laugh at my pain! Notice the sick pace! The other three deaths ending on lvl 10 were all due to wild barrels (lvl 4,7,10)!

http://www.twitch.tv/dkshawn/c/6800258

Offline DadsGlasses

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2015, 05:37:02 PM »
DKShawn:

As a new player, I really enjoyed this thread. I'm 36 and recently started playing on MAME for the personal challenge and nostalgia. I bought a dedicated DK Jr cabinet after about a week and threw in a DK board set because I just don't want to be a MAME player.

I'm way down at the bottom, but threads like this are 100% why I am here: community, support, jokes, strategy, etc.

Great job and thank you.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 05:41:07 PM by DadsGlasses »
DKF Blogger

Offline dkshawn

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2015, 08:02:46 PM »
Glad you enjoyed reading about my dk adventures. Super cool that you bought a cabinet. I recently bought a broken Defender cab im working to restore too. You can learn a lot by watching videos of other players. This wasnt really possible only a few years ago. My other suggestion for new players is to practice the springs on mame save state so in a real game you dont get caught. Good luck climbing mount kong!