Author Topic: What is considered "THE" DK3 record/track?  (Read 876 times)

Offline WCopeland

• Elite Member
What is considered "THE" DK3 record/track?
« on: September 20, 2016, 07:48:03 AM »
I'm trying to compile a list of all the gaming-related goals I'd like to achieve before the end of 2017. While I have no intention whatsoever of going for the DK3 WR, I have a big DK3 score in my sights as I really enjoy playing the game.

There are a lot of a DK3 tracks, but my question is which one is considered the "premier" track? Is it the Difficulty 1 Marathon? Difficulty 1 Five-Man? Difficulty 3 Marathon? Difficulty 3 Five-Man?

Maybe a better way to answer the question -- if someone asked you what the DK3 record was and you had to name one of Griley's scores, which one would you give? We have a "DK3 World Record Holder" badge, but I don't think it has actually been established what track that badge is tied to.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 07:53:17 AM by WCopeland »
Twitch TV  Streamer DK Killscreener DK 1 Million Point Scorer DK Online Open #4 Winner DK 1.1 Million Point Scorer Crazy Kong Killscreener DKF Blogger Pauline WR Holder DK 1st Man Million DK 1st man 1.1 Million DK Jr. Killscreener 1 Million Point Trifecta DK Arcade WR Holder DK 1.2 Million Point Scorer

Offline pwnasaurus

• Spring Jumper
  • Taking Linderman Rock in Neutral
Re: What is considered "THE" DK3 record/track?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 08:17:41 AM »
Whatever one was tied to the old 80's scores.   Medium with extras I think?
Why not play some Kangaroo today?
Twitch TV  Streamer DK Killscreener DK Jr. Killscreener DKF Blogger Crazy Kong Killscreener

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 12:07:47 PM »
Steve is referring to difficulty 3, MAME hard settings (marathon).  It's the oldest recorded track.

As far as goals are concerned, I would say, going after the RBS on Difficulty 3 settings would be a BIG score. 
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
DK3 World Record Holder DK Jr. Killscreener DKF Blogger Crazy Kong Killscreener Twitch TV  Streamer DK3 Repetitive Blue Screen

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 12:55:29 PM »
I'm no DK3 player, but it seems rather logical that the 5 man settings would be the most prestigious, the same goes for the Miss-sigh-UHL Command scores (that may or may not be no-good) <Roy> and games like Q*bert.

5 man does a good job of penalizing you for mistakes, the best players will consistently get the best scores (on these games) because it does a better job of highlighting mastery.

I guess the real question is what is ones definition of "Premier"
DK Remix Killscreener Twitch TV  Streamer DK Killscreener DKF Blogger DK 1 Million Point Scorer

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 01:44:38 PM »
It's a little different with DK3 in regards that Donkey Kong 3 has a limited amount of men given.  Missile command is an unlimited amount.  So it's more like Galaga, which also has a limit in men.
With Galaga, I would say marathon settings is more prestigious despite the sordid history of the marathon record holder.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
DK3 World Record Holder DK Jr. Killscreener DKF Blogger Crazy Kong Killscreener Twitch TV  Streamer DK3 Repetitive Blue Screen

Online aarontruitt

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 05:22:54 PM »
I would say that the most popular track is Difficulty 3 (MAME hard) marathon. I agree with Ethan that 5 man is the most impressive. I think 5 man is more fun to watch, too. Underachiever strats on marathon are very effective but can be kind of boring to watch. Beating any of George's scores would be a feat in any category. The man is a beast.
Arcade DK PB: 881,600 (KS)
Twitch TV  Streamer DK Killscreener