Author Topic: What's the music in Donkey Kong?  (Read 604 times)

Online Sock Master

What's the music in Donkey Kong?
« on: June 15, 2017, 07:30:54 AM »
Does anyone else get a sense of familiarity when they hear some of the tunes in Donkey Kong?
Like the music is similar to, or inspired by other music?

I've heard that the intro music when Kong is climbing the ladders at the beginning of the game is based on the theme music from Dragnet:
! No longer available

Maybe not as obvious, but once you hear it you can't unhear it...  The music that plays when the 1st rivets screen is completed is totally the opening from Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant":
! No longer available

I never made a connection before, but after hearing a variation of Donkey Kong's "How high can you get?" tune between stages in Sky Skipper, it immediately struck me that this sounds very familiar... and then Billy Joel's "Don't Ask Me Why" started playing in my head:   (edit: This song was released as a single and playing on the radio at the time DK was being developed!)
! No longer available

I bet the game's programmers used other music as inspiration for the tunes in Donkey Kong.

Could the music from Rivets 2 also be inspired by some other song?
Or the other end-of-barrel-stage music?  The hammer tune??  The death sound???
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 08:21:40 AM by Sock Master »
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"
Twitch TV  Streamer

Offline Adam_Mon

• Elite Member
Re: What's the music in Donkey Kong?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 07:51:55 AM »
Wow, this is really interesting.

I could have sworn there was a yt video where someone did a a fairly indept analysis of the music in dk but couldn't find it. I also remeber a poster (maybe on here?) who apparentley found hidden music within the code iirc.

Online Sock Master

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 08:02:04 AM »
The video might make an interesting watch. I'll see if I can find it.

I found a web page with some information about the hidden/unused music in DK.
http://tcrf.net/Donkey_Kong_(Arcade)#Unused_Music

Those too, sound familiar... but maybe it's because they share themes with DK's other music?  But it'd be interesting if they also borrow from other music.
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"
Twitch TV  Streamer

Offline krehztim

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 01:39:02 PM »
On a side note - is there a name for the score font on these games?
Twitch TV  Streamer Crazy Kong Killscreener

Offline marinomitch13

• Strategy Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 10:40:36 PM »
I think Dave McCrary made the connection between DK's music and some sort of classical piece of music (something by Bach?) he used to play on guitar. I've always thought that maybe there was some connection between DK's and Wizard of War's intro music.
“Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee.” -Augustine, Confessions.
Twitch TV  Streamer DKF Blogger DK Killscreener

Offline marky_d

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 06:31:10 AM »
I always thought the music played during barrel boards closely resembled the bass line to The Ballad of John and Yoko.
Twitch TV  Streamer DK Killscreener DK 1 Million Point Scorer DK Jr. Killscreener DK Jr. Arcade WR Holder DK 1.1 Million Point Scorer