Poll

Should original buttons with original roller microswitches be required for DKF submissions?

Yes
No

Voting closes: February 27, 2018, 07:10:30 AM

Author Topic: Should buttons with original roller switches be required?  (Read 1899 times)

Online serphintizer

Re: Should buttons with original roller switches be required?
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 04:53:07 PM »
I have used both the bog-standard Mike's Arcade repro buttons (pretty close to the original, I would opine) and the GGG buttons (mentioned openly by Wes in time past Twitch streams). There are positives and negatives (subjective) to both; but ultimately, I really do believe it just comes down to personal preference here.

The Mike's Arcade repros:

1.) Seem pretty durable
2.) Has a softer/squishier feeling when activating it (easier on me physically)
3.) Has a longer activation point/travel distance (may be seen as a slight disadvantage by some, but can be adjusted, sooooo...)

The GGGs:

1.) Dung durability (switches seem to start failing within a few months...one started going bad and I had to hit the jump button like four times before it "warmed up"/responded <mad>)
2.) Has a much harder type feeling when activating it (bottoms out quite quickly, which hurts my fingers a bit over a full game)
3.) Has a shorter activation point/travel distance (may be seen as a slight advantage by some, but again, "originals" can be adjusted, sooooo...)

These are just a few observations I have noticed over time, but I am only speaking for myself here. If forced to choose one over the other, I would choose whatever I was more comfortable with; and I am not convinced either way at this point in time.

However, when it comes to MAME and keyboards (I should know Kappa), I love me some super cheap rubber domes that take for ever to push down and can take a beating. I cannot stand mechanicals, scissor-switch/chiclet, or any other variant type keyboards. And this most likely puts me in the minority here, since the view would be that I am handicapping myself.

And another thing, until someone finds that locked away, virgin DK in the Indiana Jones hanger, or if you have found a way to stop entropy in its tracks, there ain't nobody (afaik) playing on a 100%, bone stock machine.

So if you really just want to get down to it, down to some brass tacks, as far as gameplay is concerned, you can throw a stinkin' ham sandwich on the control panel for a jump button, and any top player would still have the potential to snag the world record, imo.

More like a "bomb" out, knucklez.  8)
"Kill screen? Ha! It's for tourists."  - Mr. X
DK 1 Million Point Scorer Twitch TV  Streamer DK 1.1 Million Point Scorer DK Killscreener

Offline lightchaser

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2018, 01:19:38 AM »
I voted No, at the end of the day its a button, it can only be either on or off!!!!!, let me give you this analogy .... When Tiger Woods won the Masters, did he use the same clubs as everyone else???

I've been in the Retro Gaming Community for 20 years and frankly I'm sick, tired and maybe a little jaded of the whole "community", when I first started I thought it would be a good way of interacting with like-minded people, boy was I wrong!!! It's full of arguments and constant sniping and bitching. We are all here to enjoy video games,......that's right "IT'S A VIDEO GAME", there are more worrying issues in the world.

I will say this though, A button is a button, anyone can use the buttons that Wes or Robbie uses its open and they have always been open about it but claiming to set an arcade record and a completely different system IS cheating. Seems that the whole competitive gaming thing is a sham, I pulled away from that one a long time ago. I take my hat off to Wes and Robbie for acting like true champions and gentlemen, as Tim McVey said We could use a few more like you guys in the "Community".

Just my Two Cents Guys!!!

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2018, 03:14:11 AM »
Quote from: seymour
I love me some super cheap rubber domes that take for ever to push down and can take a beating

<3 <3 <3

2018 Funspot CK Spacepants Off Champion
Twitch TV  Streamer Crazy Kong Killscreener

Offline jimmer

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2018, 03:40:39 AM »
I was very interested to read what I just did about the joystick issue.

Seems to me you will have a massive problem if you decide joysticks must be only 4way capable, as I don't see how that can be provable by video recording.

I don't actually play DK, and one reason is that I don't like how difficult the turns are, it never crossed my mind that this could be an intentional part of the game design.

edit: OK so I've just done my research (found 1 thread about 8way sticks). Seems you do require 4way sticks. So I guess I'm now curious how you verify the stick behaviour ?   
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 03:52:57 AM by jimmer »

Offline Bounty Bob

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2018, 04:22:28 AM »
I was very interested to read what I just did about the joystick issue.

Seems to me you will have a massive problem if you decide joysticks must be only 4way capable, as I don't see how that can be provable by video recording.

I don't actually play DK, and one reason is that I don't like how difficult the turns are, it never crossed my mind that this could be an intentional part of the game design.

edit: OK so I've just done my research (found 1 thread about 8way sticks). Seems you do require 4way sticks. So I guess I'm now curious how you verify the stick behaviour ?   
A world record submission needs to show the control panel being used. So the player unclips the panel and shows the underneath with the restrictor plate functioning as necessary. See the below for example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWzFPMQMqt4

Offline jimmer

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2018, 05:14:28 AM »
Ah OK. I see now that's it's possible! 

You are helped greatly by specifying it must be a nintendo stick, which means you are familiar with the switch characteristics. The nintendo sticks characteristics are also helpful: the activation and de-activation points are quite separated, and the clicks sound different.

That's a video of a very 4way stick (In my judgement). But what does a video of a worn 'slightly 8way' stick look like? How good does the video audio quality need to be to make a confident ruling between 4way and 8way. I suppose the onus is on the player to satisfy the
 reviewers.

Anyway, looks like you have it under control :)  I'll get back to thinking about my trackball roller diameter now.