Author Topic: Help to restore a DK cab & [level 1-1] 10700 points  (Read 442 times)

Offline erockbrox

Re: Help to restore a DK cab & [level 1-1] 10700 points
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2018, 01:47:20 PM »
I just purchased the above item, and I'll go through the process alongside you to set up a real donkey kong control panel with WolfMame.  Let me know if you're interested to do this.

Wow, are you saying that you bought this control panel just because of my original post?

While I do know how to solder wires and I'm a little tech savvy, I would feel more comfortable just to send my panel out to someone who can give it a tune up or make it compatible with MAME.

I recently tried to do a Game Boy Advanced light mod and I did very well with it, but at a certain stage I got glue on the new screen and it ruined the whole project. I ended up throwing away my GBA into the trash never to look at it again.

So I would rather trust a qualified expert with doing anything to my DK panel.

Offline KongTower

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2018, 03:10:05 PM »
I just purchased the above item, and I'll go through the process alongside you to set up a real donkey kong control panel with WolfMame.  Let me know if you're interested to do this.

Wow, are you saying that you bought this control panel just because of my original post?

While I do know how to solder wires and I'm a little tech savvy, I would feel more comfortable just to send my panel out to someone who can give it a tune up or make it compatible with MAME.

I recently tried to do a Game Boy Advanced light mod and I did very well with it, but at a certain stage I got glue on the new screen and it ruined the whole project. I ended up throwing away my GBA into the trash never to look at it again.

So I would rather trust a qualified expert with doing anything to my DK panel.

No worries.  It's more fun when you have someone else who understands how much work this is.

I have to build these things every time I work on a new arcade game.  For whatever reason at least since 2006, I've had to do all the prototype cabinets.  It's mind numbing to fool with pliers that long, and your hands end up with cuts here and there, but it's rewarding to know that you can make a control panel that has never been made before as the basis of a new kind of game for me anyway.

I'm nowhere near done with my asteroids control panel, but the joy of tuning up a playable control panel that is top notch in order to have zero controls issues playing a game you're passionate about is pretty cool.

At Cal Extreme 2005, Steve Wiebe and I were filmed replacing the jump button on the DK machine.  That was the first time I learned the details about how Donkey Kong buttons are a different size than the standard buttons pretty much every other game uses.  These little details sometimes matter when you're working on a score.  The subtleties do matter to motor memory oftentimes.

Anyway, expert or not, I challenge you to get a good repro.

If you just want to pay, Mikes Arcade can get you a full 100% control panel for about $190 including the wiring harness.  If you talk to them on the phone, they may allow you to send in your own I/O board and let them wire it up for you if you give them instructions.  But they do work for setting up wiring harnesses for about $40, and they have the rest of the control panel for about $150 including a repro joystick I've never used before, but they are known for being the top-notch Nintendo-specific guys for NOS controls that meet the standards of someone who wants an authentic DK control panel.

Offline JAM

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2018, 05:46:08 AM »
I have one of the Mikes Arcade repro joysticks.  I've played a few hundred games on it, but it still feels very stiff compared to my originals.  It's probably just because it's new.

Regarding the Nintendo button, I've noticed that you can tune it to click as soon as you start pressing or when the button is closer to fully pressed.  I wonder where the top players prefer theirs to activate.  Mine is about halfway.  When I had it closer to the top, sometimes it wouldn't reset.
My current PR (6/10/2017) 473,000