Author Topic: Does anyone know what an appearance fee for Steve Wiebe is?  (Read 1412 times)

Offline Realzach2001

Does anyone know what an appearance fee for Steve Wiebe is?
« on: December 31, 2017, 02:53:51 PM »
I've been trying to contact him on account of our local arcade and haven't had any luck. They'd love for him to appear and do a "world record attempt" similar to his mall of America stop.

Online Barra

• Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
Re: Does anyone know what an appearance fee for Steve Wiebe is?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 06:42:50 PM »
Maybe he'll do a Wiebe Freebie?
First player to get both highest and lowest score during a Kong-Off <Kuh>
DK3 Repetitive Blue Screen Twitch TV  Streamer DKF Blogger DK Killscreener Crazy Kong Killscreener DK 1 Million Point Scorer DK Jr. Killscreener

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 02:47:18 AM »
I'm the Donkey Kong 3 world record holder, and if you are in Southern California I'll do a world record attempt for free!  8)
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
DK3 World Record Holder DK Jr. Killscreener DKF Blogger Crazy Kong Killscreener Twitch TV  Streamer DK3 Repetitive Blue Screen

Offline Realzach2001

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 07:35:11 AM »
I'm in the Midwest :(

Offline aarontruitt

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 08:13:29 AM »
I've been trying to contact him on account of our local arcade and haven't had any luck. They'd love for him to appear and do a "world record attempt" similar to his mall of America stop.

Pretty sure the World Record is far beyond the scope of Wiebe's skill. It would be a novelty to have him there, but he is almost 200k behind at this point and doesn't play regularly as far as we know.
Arcade DK PB: 881,600 (KS)
Twitch TV  Streamer DK Killscreener

Offline syscrusher

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 05:19:19 PM »
This is a question for <Tim>.
Twitch TV  Streamer DK Killscreener DK 1 Million Point Scorer DK Jr. Killscreener Crazy Kong Killscreener 1 Million Point Trifecta DKF Blogger DK3 Repetitive Blue Screen

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
DK Remix Killscreener Twitch TV  Streamer DK Killscreener DKF Blogger DK 1 Million Point Scorer

Offline ebinsugewa

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 03:49:20 AM »
Maybe he'll do a Wiebe Freebie?

HOF worthy post
we're in the yellow pages under 'spatulas'
Twitch TV  Streamer DKF Blogger

Offline Mary McManus

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 03:38:37 PM »
Appearance fee for Steve Who? Are you talking about that Bullshit artist Steve Webie who lied and claimed to be the first to beat Billy Mitchells 1982 DK WR and made a bundle of money of marketing a fake DOC to the public as fact? That Steve? Any money you pay him is too much. The guy can't even beat me with out cheating let alone a legitimate WR attempt.
Twitch TV  Streamer DK Killscreener DK 1 Million Point Scorer Crazy Kong Killscreener

Offline Realzach2001

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 06:27:26 AM »
You're an angry man. I can see why they didn't put you in the movie.

Offline KongTower

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 07:59:46 AM »

I was filmed playing with Steve for two days in 2005 at California Extreme where I played two player with Steve Wiebe and got to know him long before the film was produced.  My comments about Billy Mitchell were pretty negative, but the audio was also bad because it was a noisy environment there.  We went outside of the venue for me to say that, "Billy Mitchell is great for getting the media's attention.  He's know for his story from TIME about the perfect game of Pac-Man, but I think that Steve is more likely the better player." -- my quote paraphrases what I said during the interview by the film-makers.

As far as Steve's appearance fees, I know they're more than $100.

This is $100 towards beer for Steve to show up in my neighborhood (the bar here let's you give money for other people to use, and it gets put on the chalk-board.  They also opened around the idea to have high scores, but ended up doing more just the beer thing, honestly.

I moved to this neighborhood to push towards competitive arcade play where you are paid according to your skill rather than your personality.

I have no idea how far I'll get, but these developments where the top players are actually pushing towards legitimate score verification is a very good sign.

I made a lot of efforts in Las Vegas and was present representing my company at the time to change the laws in Vegas to allow for skill-based play.  But in the end, the complication of paying skill (instead of only cheating the player more for lack of it) was something that nobody in Vegas was able to comprehend, and I had to throw in the towel.

You don't need gambling to get paid for skill-based play.  And that's what I'm focusing on now.

I'm very excited to see the developments happening here to legitimize the process of verifying skill (especially as it relates to enabling people to get paid for it).

This, believe it or not, has more to do with the future of VR than arcade games.  And Ready Player One is going to bring this meme more into public consciousness.  I expect that there are more than just a couple of people seeing this develop.

Offline Mary McManus

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 08:41:02 AM »

No I was not included because  because documented facts got in the way of Steve and Billy. The bitterness came afterward. Lets not forget how Steve lied to begin with. Steve tell the world again who was the first to beat Billy's 1982 DK WR.
Twitch TV  Streamer DK Killscreener DK 1 Million Point Scorer Crazy Kong Killscreener