Author Topic: Why are NES ports more popular to speedrun than Arcade/MAME?  (Read 707 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
OK, I get why non arcade NES games are popular to speedrun, but I get confused as why poor imitation NES games of Arcade/MAME games are more popular.  For instance there are 64 entries for speedrunning the first level of Donkey Kong NES, but there isn't even a speedrun  1st level category for Donkey Kong Arcade/MAME.  There is only a killscreen the game category for Arcade/MAME, and there are only two entries.

So for me, it makes no sense at all.  Why would people people prefer to speedrun the crummy version when they can speedrun the better original version?  It makes no sense at all.

So anyone who knows the speedrunning community, it would be interesting to understanding the logic behind the preference for the NES port over Arcade/MAME.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
DK3 World Record Holder DK Jr. Killscreener DKF Blogger Crazy Kong Killscreener Twitch TV  Streamer DK3 Repetitive Blue Screen

Offline WCopeland

• Spring Jumper
Re: Why are NES ports more popular to speedrun than Arcade/MAME?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 07:00:46 PM »
The NES is more accessible than the arcade platform, from both a physical and emulation standpoint.
Twitch TV  Streamer DK Killscreener DK 1 Million Point Scorer DK Online Open #4 Winner DK 1.1 Million Point Scorer Crazy Kong Killscreener DKF Blogger Pauline WR Holder DK 1st Man Million DK 1st man 1.1 Million DK Jr. Killscreener 1 Million Point Trifecta DK Arcade WR Holder DK 1.2 Million Point Scorer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 07:24:08 PM »
The NES is more accessible than the arcade platform, from both a physical and emulation standpoint.
I didn't know that.  Thanks for the explanation.

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
DK3 World Record Holder DK Jr. Killscreener DKF Blogger Crazy Kong Killscreener Twitch TV  Streamer DK3 Repetitive Blue Screen

Offline TBE

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 09:53:49 AM »
Another reason would probably be the lack of score based games on consoles vs. arcade games which all (?) are score based.

Boognish

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 10:02:03 AM »

i run mame roms on my nes classic ....all day

Offline CaptainJivePants

• Teter
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 05:43:25 AM »
The NES is more popular than arcade games. It is that simple to me. It was "the" console for a large chunk of time, with little competition in either the arcade or home market. So, you have people picking games  to speedrun based on nostalgia, popularity, and recognizability (not a word, but you get it). It's just more prevalent, and other speedrunners who are younger do the same with newer consoles for a younger generation who lived those consoles and games.
DK Jr. - 818,900 (KS)
DK Jr. best first life - 714,700 (19-4)
APB - 215,074
Twitch TV  Streamer DK Jr. Killscreener

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 06:57:10 AM »
My whole point is 90% of NES ports look like garbage compared to the original arcade game.  For instance all three Donkey Kong's look like garbage compared to the arcade.
It's counterintuitive because the original better made version is less popular to speed run.
Wes though was right.  The crummy NES version is easier to obtain.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 12:40:50 PM »

Exactly. Plus people tend to follow others. More people SR NES so more people will also try and SR NES.  Its also something people remember about doing back in the 80's / 90's vs playing on that arcade cab in  your house :)
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Twitch TV  Streamer DKF Blogger Crazy Kong Killscreener DK Killscreener DK 1 Million Point Scorer